To draw comics, create vector logos and complex drawings – all this can be done using free programs from our rating. Why buy Photoshop and Illustrator if alternatives are available?
oneGimp: a free competitor to Photoshop
The universal graphics editor Gimp is suitable not only for photo editing and image processing, but also for drawing.
- If you don’t have enough pre-installed tools, you can create your own or download additional brushes.
- GIMP works great with graphic tablets.
- For those who can’t get used to the original interface of the program, special themes have been created that make GIMP visually similar to Photoshop.
2MediBang Paint Pro: editor with a huge set of functions
Unlike Gimp, MediBang Paint Pro is very similar to Photoshop. This free program offers many functions for processing and creating images, as well as a separate application for Android.
- The desktop version, of course, is more interesting, and has a large number of modules and settings. But thanks to its own MediBang cloud, you can create graphics on multiple devices at once.
- Among the features of MediBang Paint Pro are not only Paint drawing tools, but also Photoshop editing modules, for example, editing layers.
- The application has ready-made templates that are suitable for creating comics and manga.
3Inkscape: a free analogue of Adobe Illustrator
Inkscape is a great free vector graphics program. Here you can create logos, banners or posters. Inkscape is one of the main competitors of Adobe Illustrator, like Gimp for Photoshop.
- Inkscape is compatible with the SVG format, however, you can import EPS, Postscript, JPG, PNG, BMP or TIF images.
- Inkscape offers many tools and various forms: paths, texts, markers, clones, transparency effects (alpha version), transformations, color gradients, patterns and groups.
- The free tool also supports Creative Commons metadata, manipulation of nodes, levels, bitmap, text binding to the path and surrounding objects, direct editing of XML and much more.
fourLibreCAD: free software from CAD
Free program LibreCAD allows you to create complex 2D-drawings.
- The application menu has straight lines, circular arcs, ellipses, graphic functions and points that can be added to a virtual drawing board.
- The finished image can be mirrored, scaled and rotated.
- In LibreCAD it is especially convenient to draw contours: the thickness and shape of the lines in them will change as necessary.
fivePhotoshop Express: an alternative from the manufacturer
Photoshop Express is a simplified version of Adobe’s most popular Photoshop photo editor. This program is free and available for PC and mobile gadgets on Android and iOS. However, in this application you will have to abandon working with layers and some other professional Photoshop tools.
Despite the limitations, many useful features are available in the express image editor. Among them are color and brightness settings, cropping, scaling and retouching of images, as well as sharpening, blurring and deformation.
For example, using auto-correction of the image, you can choose from six options how the image will look after applying the effect. And with the help of “Sketch” your photo will turn into a picture, a black and white image or change the main color.
In the “Edit” tab, the program offers the “Effects” menu: here you can add text, stickers, a frame and other decorative elements to the photo.
6Pixlr: easy online photoshop
The program offers even more options for image processing. Pixlr It is completely free and does not require installation. With the help of numerous tools, filters and effects, you can enhance and edit photos directly in the browser online.
Here you can work with layers and edit photos of any format. Moreover, the program offers such Photoshop tools as “Stamp”, “Sponge” and “Spot correction”.
If you are not familiar with the classic Photoshop interface, many Pixlr tools may not be clear to you. Try Photoshop Express for easy image processing, and Pixlr for a more detailed image.
7Krita: Free Comic Book Editor
Krita is a powerful and absolutely free program for creating comics, manga and other works of digital art.
- Often this application is used by professionals, for example, illustrators.
- Here you can change the position of the workspace and work with markers that will adapt to your style.
- Krita is compatible with Photoshop, and cartoons can be made from the drawings created in the program.
Free Photoshop is not a fraud scam, but a very real program offering great opportunities for processing photos. If you do not want to buy professional applications, free alternatives can be a good choice.